Situated nearby to one of Platbos Forest's most ancient trees - a Wild Olive of over 800 years old - The Old Olive Cabin offers you a wonderful opportunity to retreat for a weekend (or more) of peace and tranquillity in this magical forest.
Old Olive is the perfect "get away" for couples or a small family of four. Like the Forest Camp, Old Olive is totally off-grid. The cabin is situated right in the forest, and to minimize impacts to this sensitive environment, the cottage is accessed by a short, beautiful walk through the forest.
Facilities: (sleeps a maximum of 4)
Bedroom & Living Areas:
- Bedroom with double bed
- Open plan kitchen/sitting room with a sleeper couch that folds out into a double bed (duvets, pillows provided)
- Fully-equipped kitchen with pots, pans, cutlery and crockery
- Double gas plate for cooking (Note: no oven, microwave or fridge as cabin is off-grid. There is a communal freezer for use at the Info hut)
- Indoor and outdoor fireplace, braai grid provided
- All linen, towels and bedding provided
Open Air Shower:
Looking out onto a stately white stinkwood tree, this hot water shower is a magical experience all of its own!
- Hot water fuelled by the old fashioned Donkey Boiler
- Wash stand
The Composting, Waterless Toilet:
- Wonderful views into the forest
- Great efforts have been made to make this a cut above the traditional "long drop"!
RATES & CONDITIONS:
Please note: A 50% deposit is required to reserve your booking.
Rates per night: R850 for 1-2 guests; R950 for 3 guests; R1050 for 4 guests.
Single Night Stays: By arrangement only; an additional R200 surcharge is applicable.
In Season (16 Dec - 5 Jan): Minimum of a 3 night stay is required.
Discount: Available on stays of 5 nights or more.
Check In: Between 2pm and 5pm | Check Out: 10am (unless otherwise arranged).
Old Olive is a wonderful setting to enjoy a personal retreat - and it is especially suited to writers … for stays of over 4 nights, guests are welcome to recharge their laptops at the Platbos Forest Homestead (solar-powered).
- Solar lanterns and candles are provided; please bring along extra flashlights.
- Wood is provided for the "donkey boiler", extra braai and fire wood may be purchased at Platbos - R30 per bag - please collect from the Info hut and leave your money in the honesty box. No wood may be cut or collected from the indigenous Platbos Forest.
- Please bring along your own fire-lighters / blitz.
- Please bring along a Cooler Box and Ice Trays (re-freeze your ice bricks and ice trays in the communal freezer).
- Old Olive is off-grid; this means no electrical plug points or fridge (but as already stated, there is use of the communal freezer).
- While the water at the cottage is fine for boiling and using in food preparation, you might like to bring along your own drinking water.
- Please do not use "Doom-type" pesticide sprays, etc, but DO bring along insect repellent during the summer months for mosquitoes.
- Please respect the peace and tranquillity of the forest and keep noise levels down; no music is allowed.
- Cellphone receptivity varies in the forest and Vodacom receives better reception.
- Platbos is a wilderness area; please treat all aspects of it with the utmost respect.
- Platbos is unfortunately not pet-friendly therefore NO dogs are allowed.
… take only pictures and leave only footprints …
Platbos grows in an exceptionally beautiful valley -
once you have finished exploring the forest, discover the Uilkraal Vallei:
- A variety of mountain biking and walking trails with The Fynbos Trail - www.fynbostrail.co.za
- The award winning wines of the Uilkraal Vallei at Lomond Wines - www.lomond.co.za
- A peaceful, scheduled retreat at the beautiful Bodhi Khaya - www.bodhi-khaya.co.za
- Our neighbours, De Uijlenes - www.deuijlenes.co.za - and the Uylenvlei Retreat - www.uylenvlei-retreat.co.za - offer wedding and conference facilities and they also cater for extra-large groups.
Activities beyond the Uilkraal Vallei
(but still in our neck of the woods):
- Boat-based whale watching with Dyer Island Cruises - www.whalewatchsa.com
- Commune with the Southern Right whales from the rocky shoreline of De Kelders
- Visit the Klipgat caves - home to our collective ancestors over 100,000 years ago
- Enjoy a beach outing at the family-friendly Stanford's Cove, De Kelders
- Play putt-putt and have a ride down the super tube at Uilenkraalsmond Resort
- The Baardskeerdersbos Art Route - www.baardskeerdersbosartroute.com
- Bread-making workshops with artist Niel Jonker - www.nieljonker.co.za
- Take a drive to Wolvengat and visit the local artists
- Visit the beautiful town of Elim, with its historic church and mill